Monday, February 23, 2009

Sources of Inspiration - Visual Artists

Oh those Oscars. That was the best show I've ever seen - normally I need to constantly pinch my arm to keep from falling asleep. The past two years, I could not make it to the best picture.

Hugh Jackman was really great, as was that Swarvorski curtain. Production design for live television - what a retro idea.

I still have many films to see, but I did enjoy The Visitor, Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, Wall-E, Tropic Thunder, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Doubt. I am looking forward to seeing The Garden, The Wrestler, Frost/Nixon, The Class, The Reader and Frozen River.

On the stage, my favorite dress was Kate Winslet's - it reminded me of a Tracey Reese dress I've been sweating for a few months. I love the gauzy one shoulder. I also loved Anne Hathaway's dress. Penelope Cruz is so much like a best friend, that I had to smile when she told the story of finally getting this vintage gown from the 50s. I am looking forward to the day that one of my best friends is on the stage at the Kodak Theatre and I'm cheering her on.

On the non-moving visuals, I saw this photo on Oh Joy's blog and I just love the feeling:


blues by Tim Walker, Vogue

It is a bit fou and reminds me of 37.2 degrees la matin (or Betty Blue). I finally finished the staggeringly tragic film about the life of the great chanteuse Edith Piaf. Marion Cotillard did a fine job. I will take from that film, the simplicity and honesty of Madame Piaf's newspaper interview and her advice...love, love, love.



No comments: