Friday, May 2, 2008

It's good to be back

The clock tower in Brooklyn - formerly the Williamsburg Bank..now luxury condos.


It is so nice to be back home. The trip to Florida had its ups and downs, but overall was as good as I could've hoped. My grandmother is sick and everyone flew in from their respective locales to wish her well. There are 4 of us grandchildren and it's been ages since we were all together. Some things don't change and loving your family is one of those things.

Flying back into the city is one of my favorite pastimes. You know how you sometimes get fed up with NYC? Well, the best cure for that is going away and flying back into LaGuardia Airport.

I figured it out on this flight; I sat on the left side of the plane by the window. It was around 8pm, so night was creeping across the horizon. The Mets were playing at Shea Stadium, so the stadium was so bright. I smiled when we passed the massive globe from the World's Fair and the Statue of Liberty. When we passed the City and I saw the Empire State Building I felt myself puff up with pride - I love my city, I love my New York!

While I was away - my vintage envelopes from our Etsy shop were featured on the front page in a treasury (a collection of Etsy items that someone curates). Very cool and just what I needed when I was feeling sad because of Grandma. So now we have over 40 people who heart our shop....baby steps, baby steps.



I sold the envelope pack and mailed them off to their new home in Chi-town, what a feeling! It may be only a $5 sale, but it made me sooooo happy.

Last night, I met up with some friends at Marshall Stack in the LES (Rivington and Allen). I thought there would be 5 of us, so I made each of them one of my new cards (Thank You Mr. Parmentier). Wasn't I surprised when there were like 30 people there!!! It was like a stylist meet-up and I was so excited to see an old girlfriend, who I haven't seen in 5 years! Also were some of my favorite people that I rarely get to hang out with. The crowd was heavily populated with Domino employees - they're a fun bunch.

I can't wait to get back into the letterpress studio in a few days! I miss working with Robert Warner and creating lovely things. Of course I'm sure he's probably created 500 pieces of artwork since I've been gone - hmmm...I'd better get cracking on my work! Florida afforded me a few hours of downtime on the plane. I reread sections of Twlya Tharp's book , The Creative Habit, and came up with several new designs. Promise I'll show you when they're ready!

Lotsa love,
Fela @ BABAS2ND DESIGN

No comments: